4 July 2012, Singapore – The Audi A1 Sportback was launched under the tagline “Fashionably Early” reflecting the style, technology and high level of craftsmanship not found in other models in its class.
The 3.95 metre Audi A1 Sportback is compact for a young, urban public. Its design identifies it as a member of the large Audi family. The front is dominated by the single-frame grille with beveled upper corners. If the headlights are equipped with the optional xenon plus lights, LEDs are used for the daytime running lights. The sculpted tail lights are also equipped with light-emitting diodes in this case.
The engine hood and the rear hatch wrap around the body, the shoulder line encircles the entire car and the elegantly flowing roof with its integrated spoiler transitions to a steeply sloped C-pillar. A contrast roof is optionally available in one of three colors.
High- and ultra high-strength steels comprise roughly two-thirds of the Audi A1 Sportback’s body. With its strict adherence to lightweight construction, the body lays the groundwork for the low gross weight – equipped with the 1.2 TFSI, the five-door model tips the scales at just 1,065 kilograms (2,347.92 lb). The body’s rigidity, high level of safety and acoustic comfort provide for the composed, sportily precise feeling of the A1 Sportback.
The interior of the Audi A1 Sportback is spacious, bright and airy. With its stepped front, the instrument panel resembles an airplane wing; the round air vents bear hints of jet engines. The center console is inclined slightly toward the driver; the console on the center tunnel has similarities with the rear of a sailing yacht.
Body and design
– Lightweight, high-strength body with superior rigidity and safety
– Distinctive, progressive design, elegant roof arch, optional contrast roof, encompassing shoulder line, large wheel wells
– Distinctive headlights, optional xenon plus with LED daytime running lights, three-dimensionally styled tail lights
Interior and equipment
– Fresh materials and colors, intuitive ergonomics, excellent workmanship
– Elegant, modern interior design, generous amounts of space, optional three-person rear seat
– Two trim lines and numerous packages, many possibilities for customization, many high-tech options available
Infotainment and Audi connect
– Modern infotainment technologies available, fold-out display
– Bose surround system with 465 watts and 14 speakers
– MMI navigation plus with hard drive, DVD drive and 3D graphics
– Bluetooth online car phone for connecting to the Internet, special services such as web radio, and WLAN hotspot
– Seven powerful and efficient TDI and TFSI engines, all with turbocharging and direct fuel injection, power output from 63 kW (86 hp) to 136 kW (185 hp)
– Start-stop system with most engines
– Newly developed 1.4 TFSI with 103 kW (140 hp) uses cylinder on demand technology
– 1.6 TDI with 66 kW (90 hp) or 77 kW (105 hp) and manual transmission emits 99 grams CO2/km (159.33 g/mile)
– Seven-speed S tronic optionally available for two engines; standard in top model
Audi A1 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S tronic (122 bhp) $153,850 incl. COE
Audi A1 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S tronic (185 bhp) $177,000 incl. COE