I was invited to attend the trade launch of Seagate’s 3rd generation portable storage drive – The FreeAgent GoFlex series at Supperclub.
I was curious about the product since portable storage does not fall within the frequent or multiple purchase category. I wanted to know what was so special and different about the new Seagate range.
This was what I learnt about my FreeAgent® GoFlex™ Kit Black 320GB (STAA320100)
1. It is versatile – it is the world’s first upgradable hard drive system, giving you the flexibility and functionality to fit right into your digital lifestyle. There are different options of cable connections to your PC, desktop adaptors and other devices, you can play HD movies, access your music, photos and data, as well as share and back-up your data automatically with Memeo Instant Backup. Have not tried the Memeo Instant Backup yet.
2. All GoFlex products are compatible with Windows and Macintosh. The drives formatted in Windows’ NTFS format. You can install a driver that lets Macs read from and write to them. This comes in handy if you want to connect one drive to both Windows PCs and Macs. However, for Apple’s Time Machine backup system, you’ll have to reformat the drive as HFS+, a file system which Windows doesn’t support.)
3. With GoFlex + GoFlex TV HD Media Player which you can purchase separately, you can connect to a TV and play HD movies and enjoy stunning 1080p HD image quality with rich Dolby Digital and DTS audio.
4. GoFlex + GoFlex Net Sharing device allows you to share and access your files anywhere, anytime over the internet without uploading.
5. You have the option of using a regular USB or a USB 3.0, eSATA or FireWire 800 drive for higher speed data transfers. The interface is part of the cable and not the drive.
6. It is very small and portable!!
The Free Agent GoFlex 2.5″ Drives comes in the normal and a Pro version.
For the Free Agent GoFlex Ultra-Portable Drive, there are 4 various capacities, 320Gb, 500Gb, 750GB and 1TB while the FreeAgent GoFlex Pro UltraPortable Drive comes in 500GB or 750GB.
Check this product reviews by others:
- Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5TB Review (slashgear.com)
- Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5TB totes USB 3.0 (slashgear.com)
- Seagate’s FreeAgent GoFlex Home adds flexibility to your next NAS setup (engadget.com)