27 August 2012, Singapore – Singapore Writers Festival 2012 returns for its 15th edition with 200 literary offerings featuring 185 writers at the Bras Basah-Bugis District from 2 to 11 November 2012. This year’s theme “Origins” aims to search for meaning – the origins of the word, of our stories and identities, shared Paul Tan, Festival Director of this year’s festival.
This year you can expect international writers including Pulitzer Prize winner Michael Cunningham of “The Hours” fame, semi-retired professional wrestler and author Mick Foley, Taiwanese literary figure and educator Huang Chun-ming and popular writer and illustrator Jimmy Liao.
New this year is the Middle Easter Focus spotlighting writers and issues in the Middle East. SWF Fringe explores “The Origins of Desire” and is headed and curated by Arts House. This series of night-time programmes examine different facets of desire and manifestation of sexuality in books,f films, performances and visual arts. The Peranakan Museum will showcase the Peranakan connection to Singapore literature and writing which includes a dramatised reading of Desmond Sim’s play “The Chair”.
- SWF Lectures with Michael Cunningham and Huang Chun-ming
- Literary Meals and Cocktails with local and international writers including Catherine Lim, Pico Iyer, Linda Jalvin and Farish Noor
- Workshops & Master Classes – poetry workshop by Boey Kim Cheng, David Almond’s workshop for powerful Young Adult Fiction and creating graphic novels with Zahra’s Paradise creator, Khalil
- The SWF Publishing Symposium and Rights Fair – tow day seminar on the world of publishing and writing
- Little Lit! – Interactive activities for children and families
- Brand New Books – new works are launched
- Off-The-Page – acoustic rock and folk music performances
- SWF Literary Pioneer Showcase – Featuring Masuri S. N. (1927 – 2005) – father of modern Malay poetry in Singapore