2 January 2012, Singapore – Collectors of the Singapore Mint’s Festive Lunar Collection can expect a range of Singapore 2012 Lunar Dragon Commemorative Coins. This is the eighth coin in the third series of the Lunar Almanac Coin Issue that started in 2005. The Lunar Dragon Commemorative Coins are launched yesterday.
The Lunar Dragon is commonly associated with strength and good luck. Retaining the traditional roots with the integration of ancient Chinese Seal characters, you can find the words “Heavenly Stems and Earthly Branches” prominently included on the coins.
One-Kilogram 999 Fine Silver Proof-like coin
The inaugural one-kilogram coin that measures up to 100 millimetres is Singapore’s heaviest and largest coin ever produced. Only 1,000 limited pieces have been minted.
5oz 999 Fine Silver Proof Coin
With a diameter of 65 millimetres, this coin has a limited mintage of 250 pieces and is constantly sold out due to its popularity. Retails at S$768
5oz 999.9 Fine Gold Proof Coin
The gold version has a diameter of 60 millimetres and an exclusive mintage of just 200 pieces. Retails at S$15,238
2oz 999 Fine Silver Piedfort Proof Colour Coin
Twice the thickness of an average coin, the peony, a symbol of prosperity is embedded in the heart of the Lunar Dragon bringing blessings and festive cheer to both the giver and bearer of the coin. Retails at S$228
Other Wealth and Luck Figurines for the Year of The Dragon
The Golden Sail is an elegant 24 k gold-plated ship depicting a smooth-sailing year ahead while the Fortune of Dragon is designed to form the number “8” to represent prosperity and luck.
The Singapore Mint Retail Shops are located at:
- Headquarters – 20 Teban Gardens Crescent. Tel 68950288. Mon to Fri – 830am to 430pm
- Orchard Central – #02-01, 181 Orchard Central, Tel 62389890. Mon to Sun – 11am to 930pm
- Singapore Coins and Notes Museum – 40 Pagoda Street, Tel 62222486. Mon to Sun – 10am to 8pm
- Singapore High Commission Relocates in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (superadrianme.com)
- Universal Studio Singapore’s TRANSFORMERS The Ride Review (superadrianme.com)
- Best Model Of The World Singapore Goes To Richmond Ang & Sharin Keong (superadrianme.com)
- Asia’s First Freehold Ritz-Carlton Residences Opens In Singapore (superadrianme.com)