13 September, 2012, Tokyo – Japan Airlines (JAL) will be introducing new seat designs onboard its Boeing 777-300ER aircraft introducing its first route between Narita and London (Heathrow) from January 2013 and progressively to Europe, North America. This is part of the JAL New Sky Project, a thorough revamp of the airline’s in-flight products and services on international routes. The JAL New Sky Project was created with the guidance of frequent traveler and award winning Japanese author and screenwriter Kundo Koyama.
JAL’s Boeing 777-300ER aircraft has been named JAL Sky Suite 777 and will continue to carry a four class configuration of First, Business, Premium Economy and Economy.
The airline will fit TOTO washlets in First and Business Class lavatories and provide airweave mattress pads and pillows on request in Business Class.
JAL FIRST CLASS – JAL SUITE Features
- Seat Configuration: 1-2-1 (8 seats)
- Bed Length: Approximate 199 cm
- Maximum bed width: Approximate 84cm
- TV Screen Size: 23 inches (enlarged 20% from 19 inches)
- Woodgrain finishing evokes ambience similar to a personal study or bedroom
- LCD touch-panel hand-held controller (NEW)
- Tempur bedding
JAL BUSINESS CLASS – JAL SKY SUITE Features
- Seat Configuration: 2-3-2 (49 seats)
- Maximum Bed Length: Approximate 188 cm
- Maximum bed width: Approximate 65 cm
- Width at base: Approximate 53 cm
- TV Screen Size: 23 inches (50% larger than the current JAL Shell Flat NEO seats)
- Unobstructed aisle access for every seat
- Innovative sleep gear from Weava Japan Inc available on request – made by weaving very fine fiber resin, the airweave S-LINE mattress and Pillow S-LINE firmly supports your body line to ensure a sound and quality sleep
- Large swivel table and ample storage space
- Liquid-crystal (LCD) touch-panel hand-held controller (NEW)
JAL PREMIUM ECONOMY – JAL SKY PREMIUM Features
- Seat Configuration: 2-4-2 (40 seats)
- Seat pitch: Approximate 107 cm
- Seat width: Approximate 48 cm between the armrests (front-row seats specifications are different)
- TV Screen Size: 12.1 inches (35% wider than previous Premium Economy product)
- Seat pitch (distance between the seats) increased by as much as 10cm
- Increased seat-slide by up to approximately 7 cm
- Fixed-back seat so that the person behind would retain the same undisturbed space when a passenger in front reclines
- Centre divider between seats at head-level to provide greater privacy
- Three-step adjustable footrest
JAL ECONOMY CLASS – JAL SKY WIDER Features
- Seat configuration: 3-3-3 (135 seats)
- Seat pitch: Approximately 84 – 86 cm (increase by approximately 7 cm)
- Seat width: Approximately 47 cm between the armrests (2 cm wider)
- TV screen size: 10.6 inches
- Slimmed seat backs adds another 3 cm of space at knee level, providing significantly more room than Economy Class
- Each seatback comes with a netter pet-bottle holder and a conveniently placed smartphone holder near the USB port.
JAL will try to create an ambience of an exclusive restaurant over 30,000 feet above ground with the JAL BEDD – SKY AUBERGE service in First and Business Class. Introducing new menus onboard flights to Europe, North America, Australia and South East Asia, JAL has assembled a dream team of four Japanese star chefs to design JAL’s First and Business Class menus.
Seiji Yamamoto – Michelin three-star maestro will create Western Meals for First Class, using rich and varied Japanese ingredients in the artful crossover cuisine of East and West on routes between Narita and New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, London, Paris and Frankfurt
Koji Shimomura – Michelin two-star chef with years of apprenticeship in France at three star restaurants “La Cote d’Or” and “Troisgros” will create light and appertizing French cuisines for JAL’s First and Business Class on routes between Narita and Jakarta for First Class, and Narita and Vancouver, Moscow, Sydney, Delhi, Jakarta, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi for Business Class
Chikara Yamada – Trained many years in Spain and other countries and once under the tutelage of revered chef Ferran Adria of “El Bulli”, Mr Yamada will create Japanese and Western dishes for JAL’s Business Class passengers flying between Nartia and New York, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, London, Paris and Frankfurt.
Fumiko Kono – Top-class graduate of Le Cordon Bleu and executive chef of “Fauchon” in Paris, Ms. Kono will create healthy dishes using ginger and other herbs for passengers on routes between Narita and New York, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, London, Paris and Frankfurt.
JAL Kitchen Gallery
The new JAL Kitchen Gallery features a wide range of seasonal delicacies from around Japan and JAL’s popular “AIR Series” of collaborative meal creations for Premium Economy and Economy Class Passengers. On certain routes, Premium Economy Class customers will also get to enjoy champagne, Dean & Deluca’s premium ice cream and velvety mousse Toronama Donuts.
- AIR TAIMEIKEN – Fluffy Omelet Rice Dish
- AIR YOSHINOYA – Yoshinoya’s famous beef bowl
- AIR MOS – First dish of the AIR Series and a signature item from MOS BURGER